Settlement Brings New Focus to Children’s Product Safety
The Lanier Law Firm’s Jud Waltman settled a case on Sept. 14, 2009 for a family from Cape Coral, Florida, whose 18-month-old son was killed in 2006 after a children’s dresser tipped over and fell on the child.
The tragedy took place while the boy’s mother was at home, even though she had left him alone for only a few minutes when the fatal tragedy occurred.
“A dresser like this one that’s specifically made for a baby’s room should never tip over so easily,” says Mr. Waltman. “This family lost a beautiful child, and they want other parents to be aware of the danger when they buy furniture for their own children’s rooms.”
Mr. Waltman suggests that parents should address similar potential accidents by securing children’s furniture to the wall with a strap or bracket.
This case comes to a close as the Consumer Product Safety Commission is requiring a recall of certain models of Simplicity Baby Bassinets due to several choking deaths of infants beginning in 2007 and as recently as 2009. Mr. Waltman, who’s experienced in Simplicity bassinet cases, says manufacturers need to take greater care when making products for children.
“If a manufacturer claims to specialize items for babies and young children, then their products better be built to ensure a child’s safety,” he says.
The Lanier Law Firm represents many clients with children, and we want them all to be aware of the potential injuries caused by dangerous products. If your child or a loved one has been injured due to a manufacturer’s safety oversight, please contact The Lanier Law Firm.