Can You Trust Mesothelioma Commercials?
Most mesothelioma commercials are produced by real personal injury law firms to solicit new clients diagnosed with mesothelioma. The claims in the average mesothelioma commercial are generally true, but it is crucial to do your own research before calling the number on your television screen. Not every law firm behind the commercials has the necessary experience and resources to get you the compensation you deserve.
Mesothelioma commercials have played an essential role in raising public awareness of asbestos exposure and mesothelioma. Thanks to the ubiquity of these commercials on television, radio, and the internet, nearly everyone has heard of mesothelioma, and most people know it is a consequence of asbestos exposure.
Why Are There So Many Mesothelioma Commercials?
The purpose of so many mesothelioma commercials is to raise awareness that people with mesothelioma can access legal help. Mesothelioma is a latent disease that typically emerges 20 to 60 years after asbestos exposure.
During exposure, victims do not experience symptoms to warn them of the harm from the toxic substance. Without the commercials, most people would never think to connect their diagnosis with a substance they were exposed to decades earlier. In fact, many people wouldn’t even know they were exposed to asbestos.
Mesothelioma is a painful, deadly illness for which there is no cure. Mesothelioma compensation can help pay for the following:
- Mesothelioma treatment
- Palliative care
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages
- Losses of the family of a deceased mesothelioma patient
The cost of mesothelioma treatment is out of reach for many patients. The commercials give mesothelioma patients and their families hope that financial relief is obtainable.
Can I Trust Mesothelioma Commercials?
While we cannot speak for every commercial, the commercials we have seen are generally trustworthy. However, promises of fast money should be taken with a grain of salt. Mesothelioma lawsuits can take months or even years to resolve.
When viewing a commercial, note the name of the law firm, and look for answers to the following questions:
- How many years of experience does the law firm have representing people with mesothelioma? Mesothelioma cases are complex and require special knowledge. The most qualified mesothelioma law firms have decades of experience handling mesothelioma cases.
- How much compensation has the law firm recovered for people with mesothelioma? Mesothelioma cases often result in significant compensation due to the devastating nature of the disease and the outrageous conduct of the asbestos companies. A trustworthy law firm should have a long list of successful case results. The most successful law firms have won billions in compensation.
- What do former clients say about the law firm? In our experience, mesothelioma clients and their families are extremely grateful for the help they receive, and they send us glowing testimonials. You should be able to easily find client testimonials for any law firm that claims to be a successful mesothelioma law firm.
- Has the law firm won any awards and recognition for handling mesothelioma cases? The best mesothelioma law firms have gained national recognition for their accomplishments on behalf of their clients, such as Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers in America, and awards by the National Trial Lawyers’ Association.
- Does the law firm have trial experience? A law firm that never takes cases to trial settles for less. At the Lanier Law Firm, we achieve remarkable settlements for our clients because asbestos companies and their insurers know we are capable trial attorneys. This results from our history of taking cases to court and winning historical verdicts.
You can find most of these answers on the law firm’s website or by simply performing an internet search for the law firm.
Who Pays for Mesothelioma Commercials?
The typical mesothelioma commercial is an advertisement paid for by the personal injury law firm whose name and phone number appear on the screen. Some of these law firms handle mesothelioma cases themselves, but some refer cases to other attorneys are only maintain minimal involvement in the case.
Is there Really $30 Billion Set Aside for Asbestos Exposure Victims?
When commercials mention $30 billion, they are referring to the asbestos trust funds. Yes, approximately $30 billion is set aside in the asbestos trust funds, but the commercials are not telling the whole story.
Asbestos trust funds were established by companies that went bankrupt after becoming overwhelmed by the large number of mesothelioma lawsuits against them. Bankruptcy courts required them to establish asbestos trust funds for asbestos-exposure victims
who contract asbestos-related illnesses.
These funds provide a means to get compensation without going through the court system. Asbestos trust fund claims usually resolve faster than lawsuits. However, compensation from these trust funds is generally lower than in a lawsuit. We have found that clients often qualify to file trust fund claims and a lawsuit.
The commercials mention the $30 billion to get your attention, but in reality, these funds are being depleted quickly as more victims come forward than were initially anticipated. Some funds have run out of money, and most only pay a small percentage of each claimant’s case value.
This is why our law firm spends significant time with clients, investigating every potential source of asbestos exposure. By doing so, we can often help our clients file multiple trust fund claims and find liable parties that can be sued.
Are the No-Money-Upfront Promises Legitimate?
Most mesothelioma law firms operate on a contingency basis, meaning no fees are due until you recover compensation. This is how we operate at the Lanier Law Firm. This ensures you have access to the same caliber of representation that the asbestos companies can afford, regardless of your financial situation. If we don’t win, you pay nothing.
Can Any Attorney Represent People with Mesothelioma?
Mesothelioma cases are complex because the companies that exposed people to asbestos are often large companies that invest significant resources into fighting asbestos-exposure victims. They resort to stalling tactics, denial, victim-blaming, manipulation of science, and other schemes to avoid liability.
Prevailing against these companies requires the following:
- Extensive knowledge of the scientific data supporting the link between asbestos exposure and mesothelioma
- In-depth knowledge of the inner workings of the asbestos industry, which colluded for a half-century to conceal the dangers of asbestos while continuing to put workers in harm’s way for the sake of profit
- Significant financial resources to perform private investigations, gather evidence, retain medical experts, and fight very large companies
Any law firm can pay a marketing company to produce a convincing commercial, but not every law firm that does so has the necessary knowledge and resources to fight a determined asbestos company.
Why Do the Commercials Insist that People with Mesothelioma Call Right Now?
The commercials urge you to take immediate action because people with mesothelioma generally have a limited time to file a claim. Every state has a statute of limitations for mesothelioma lawsuits, and that clock starts to tick the day you are diagnosed. If you don’t file your lawsuit before the statute of limitations expires, you can lose your right to recover compensation forever.
Tragically, many mesothelioma patients have a short life expectancy. A mesothelioma lawsuit can take months or even years to resolve. The sooner you file your claim, the sooner you can recover the compensation you need to seek treatment or secure your family’s future.
If you pass away before your claim resolves, your family can generally continue your claim. This is known as a survival action. Family members can also file a wrongful death claim. Time limits also apply to survival and wrongful death cases.
It is crucial to involve an experienced mesothelioma lawyer as soon as possible to ensure your attorney can prepare as strong a case as possible for you well ahead of the deadline.
Why You Can Trust the Lanier Law Firm
We have been handling mesothelioma cases for more than 25 years, and our nationally recognized attorneys have recovered nearly $20 billion in settlements and verdicts, including the following:
- $4.69 billion against Johnson & Johnson for 22 women exposed to asbestos in baby powder
- $115 million verdict on behalf of 21 steelworkers in Alabama
- $7 million settlement for a Louisiana man exposed to asbestos
- $3.7 million for an 82-year-old man exposed to asbestos in the U.S. Navy
- $2.257 million verdict for an Illinois laborer
- $2.3 million settlement for a California electrician exposed to asbestos in a naval shipyard
Our clients know that we care about them and their outcomes, and we regularly receive unsolicited feedback such as the following:
The Lanier Law firm has been such a blessing for our family. My mother passed away from mesothelioma. The many settlements my father received allowed him to live comfortably until he passed away at 95. The Lanier law firm was very professional and always answered our questions promptly.
– Nancy Katkowski
My mother, my two sisters, and myself have benefitted, and continue to benefit, greatly from Lanier Law Firm’s tenacious quest to seek justice from negligent entities responsible for my father’s illness and untimely death from mesothelioma.
– Mike Mooney
Lanier law firm did a beyond the call of duty in our Mesothelioma case involving my husband. He passed away about 16 years ago. By winning multiple cases, the money that came in has helped me, being a widow, Go on and live life.
– Ruth Foster
We accept cases in all 50 states and will travel to you. Don’t let the statute of limitations expire without getting the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation.