THE LANIER LAW FIRM, PC
The Lanier Law Firm is passionate about holding large companies accountable when they harm individuals. Asbestos manufacturers are among the worst offenders, having engaged in a decades-long cover-up that has cost millions of individuals their lives, including tens of thousands of U.S. military veterans.
Asbestos Manufacturers Knew
Asbestos manufacturers knew as far back as the 1930s that their product causes deadly diseases including mesothelioma, lung cancer, ovarian cancer and asbestosis. Despite this knowledge, they continued selling massive quantities of asbestos to the public and the military, even at the peril of their own workers who mined asbestos.
Their conduct extends beyond mere negligence. Their actions were deliberate and willful, for the simple reason that they value profits over human life. They thought they could get away with it because they were rich. Even today, when confronted with heartbreaking cases of mesothelioma, they use their vast resources to fight their victims and evade accountability.
The Lanier Law Firm Stands Up to Large Companies
At The Lanier Law Firm, we believe no one is above the law. Our attorneys have been standing up to asbestos manufacturers since 1998. We are one of the most experienced mesothelioma law firms in the world, having helped thousands of asbestos exposure victims get justice and well-deserved compensation in order to cope with their illnesses.
Below are just a few examples of our successful results on behalf of our clients in asbestos litigation:
- On behalf of 22 women in a case against Johnson & Johnson: The Lanier Law Firm won a $4.69 billion verdict during the first-ever trial linking asbestos-laden talc in Johnson & Johnson baby powder to ovarian cancer. This judgment included $4.14 billion in punitive damages and $550 million in compensation. This verdict was upheld on appeal with a final award of $2.1 billion, with the court referencing the defendant’s actions as “reprehensible.”
- On behalf of 21 steelworkers in a case against Carborundum Company: The Lanier Law Firm won a $115.6 million jury verdict in the first-ever case linking a grinding wheel to asbestos exposure. Unaware of the danger, the workers cut pipe with the grinding wheel inches from their faces, without masks. The company fought hard against the victims in court, but the jury, unswayed, included $100 million in punitive damages.
- $1.975 million on behalf of a woman exposed to asbestos that was carried home on her husband’s work clothes
- $1.8 million for the family of a retired truck driver exposed to asbestos
- $450,000 for the family of a deceased woman exposed to cosmetic talc that contained asbestos
The Lanier Law Firm has won landmark rulings in asbestos litigation, including the following appeals:
We have achieved successful settlements and verdicts on behalf of the following clients:
- A pipefitter who handled gaskets with dangerous levels of asbestos for more than 41 years
- A 67-year-old refinery worker diagnosed with mesothelioma after years of asbestos exposure
- A 39-year-old brake mechanic with mesothelioma after years of exposure to asbestos in automotive friction products
- A 48-year-old woman with mesothelioma whose father unknowingly brought asbestos fibers home on his work clothes throughout her childhood
- A 78-year-old railroad worker with mesothelioma due to occupational asbestos exposure
The Lanier Law Firm Protects Asbestos Exposure Victims
The Lanier Law Firm will go to any length to protect victims of mesothelioma. In one case, we were approached by a company we had previously sued. Mark Lanier, founder of The Lanier Law Firm, had previously settled claims against T&N, Ltd. on behalf of 1,600 clients.
In an act that could only be described as an abuse of the justice system, another asbestos manufacturer, Owens-Illinois, Inc., sued T&N for $1.6 billion and won a default judgment. Due to human error, T&N did not know about the lawsuit until four months after the judgment was rendered.
If allowed to stand, this judgment would force T&N to pay Owens-Illinois, Inc.’s asbestos exposure liabilities without Owens-Illinois, Inc. paying any damages for the harm it had caused mesothelioma victims. Even worse, T&N would have been prevented from compensating its own victims. Mark Lanier was successful in winning a reversal of the default judgment and protecting the settlements of T&N’s victims.
The Lanier Law Firm’s Caring and Personalized Approach
Our attorneys have witnessed the devastation caused by asbestos-related illnesses firsthand. We have seen our clients quickly deteriorate from these debilitating conditions. We admire their strength and have supported their families through the most difficult experiences of their lives.
Each of our clients receives personalized, compassionate care and can always expect to be treated with dignity and respect. Below are some examples of the feedback we receive from our clients:
“I truly want to thank you for your tenacity in winning battles for your clients of mesothelioma. Our family is very grateful to know your tireless efforts are not only helping us but so many others that share the same story.”
“Thank you and your law firm for the wonderful job you have done in helping us with our Mom. Your firm has been nothing short of professional, helpful and compassionate.”
“Every individual in your firm with whom I had contact was so very kind and respectful to me. I want to thank all who handled my case so brilliantly.”
We operate on principles of integrity, honesty and transparency. We fight vigorously and tirelessly on behalf of our clients, refusing to give up until justice is served and clients receive their well-deserved compensation. This is how we define legal care. It is not just a job for us. It is a calling.
Our Dedicated Mesothelioma Attorneys
Meet some of our skilled asbestos exposure lawyers, all of whom are dedicated to helping people just like you receive the damages they’re entitled to.
Sam E. Taylor, II joined The Lanier Law Firm in 2014 and is the Managing Attorney of the asbestos litigation section in our Houston office. Mr. Taylor has over 30 years of experience representing clients in state and federal courts. As lead counsel, he has tried over 40 personal injury jury trials, including cases involving mesothelioma caused by asbestos exposure, wrongful death and other serious personal injuries.
Darron E. Berquist
Darron E. Berquist is the Managing Attorney of the firm’s asbestos practice in New York. In addition to representing individuals with asbestos-caused diseases such as mesothelioma, lung cancer and ovarian cancer, he assists the firm’s pharmaceutical and product liability groups, particularly on matters related to expert witnesses.
Maura Kolb came to The Lanier Law Firm in 2003 after working with the firm on complex business and personal injury litigation. In 2011, Maura was promoted to the high profile role of managing the bankruptcy claims department for the asbestos section of the firm. In 2014, her role expanded to include management of the historical asbestos docket. Her management of the Asbestos Resolution Team continues today collecting millions of dollars for clients every year.
Contact Our Firm