W. MARK LANIER
- B.A. – David Lipscomb University,
- J.D. – Texas Tech University School
of Law, 1984
Mark has been awarded honorary
doctor degrees from St. Johns University, Pepperdine University and
Trinity Evangelical Divinity School.
“One of the top civil trial lawyers in America.”
– The New York Times
“Jurors often vote for who they like. It’s why so many corporations hate to step in a courtroom and it’s why Lanier is turning so many heads.”
– The American Lawyer
“He (Mark Lanier) has established himself as one of the best trial lawyers in the nation.”
– Texas Lawyer
Mark Lanier is consistently recognized as one of the top civil trial lawyers in America. Best known as a zealous advocate for individuals in personal injury and product liability claims against major corporations, Mark brings passion, creativity and an unparalleled ability to connect with juries in courtrooms across the nation.
During the past 30 years, Mark has taken on some of the biggest challenges in the legal field. In doing so, he has achieved some of the largest verdicts in history, accomplishments that have changed business practices to protect the public and have gained justice for the victims of dangerous drugs, medical devices, and other consumer products. In addition, he has successfully represented a select number of clients in claims involving fraud, breach of contract and other forms of business litigation.
These results cumulatively put Mark close to $20 billion in verdicts during his highly acclaimed career.
Mark’s success in the courtroom and perspectives on litigation have been featured in The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, The Boston Globe, Bloomberg News and the Houston Chronicle, among many other publications. He is also a frequent guest on news and business programs for a wide range of broadcast and cable networks.
A devout Christian, Mark is also the founder of the Lanier Theological Library, one of the nation’s largest private theological collections. He teaches a weekly, 700-plus-member Sunday school class focusing on Biblical literacy at Champion Forest Baptist Church in Houston. Mark is also the founder of the Christian Trial Lawyers Association, a nonprofit organization working to create a network of principled attorneys to minister to others through civic-minded endeavors. Mark has also published several books on faith. These include Christianity on Trial (IVP, 2014) and a daily devotional book titled Psalms for Living: Daily Prayers, Wisdom, and Guidance (Baylor University Press, 2016), the latter of which was awarded the 2018 Illumination Book Award in the Devotional category. He followed this up with Torah for Living (Baylor University Press, 2018).
Mark considers his greatest achievement to be his family. He is the father of five wonderful children and lives in Houston with his wife, Becky.
In addition to those he represents, Mark has committed himself to helping others in the law profession. He regularly appears at seminars and legal education events and serves as a featured lecturer at many of the nation’s top law schools, including Harvard Law School, Stanford Law School, Pepperdine University School of Law, University of Chicago Law School and Texas Tech University School of Law.
Executives and administrators from major American corporations and institutions often call on Mark for his respected views on national and international issues. In 2011, Mark received the distinguished Ambassador of Peace Award from the Guatemalan government for his work with Guatemala SANA, a nonprofit organization that Mark founded in 2009 to help bring health care, education and infrastructure development to rural areas of Guatemala. Mark also serves on the boards of the American Schools of Oriental Research and The Albright Institute, as well as on the Lipscomb University Board of Trustees.
- In July 2018, Mark and his trial team secured a record-setting $4.69 billion verdict for 22 women and their families who alleged that decades of daily use of Johnson & Johnson’s asbestos-laden talcum powder products caused the women’s ovarian cancer.
- In November 2017, Mark helped secure a $247 million verdict against DePuy Orthopaedics Inc., a subsidiary of health-care giant Johnson & Johnson, over Pinnacle metal-on-metal hip implants. The verdict was won on behalf of six New York residents who claimed they were injured by the faulty medical devices.
- Mark secured two verdicts in March 2016 and December 2016, both against DePuy and Johnson & Johnson. The March 2016 verdict was recognized by the National Law Journal as the Outstanding Medical Device Award for 2016 and as one of the Top 50 Verdicts of the Year. In the December 2016 verdict,
- Mark won over $1 billion, which ranked as the fourth-largest verdict in the nation for that year. Together, the two consecutive verdicts were ranked as the first- and second-largest product liability verdicts of 2016.
- Mark secured a verdict exceeding $9 billion against Takeda Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd. and Eli Lilly & Co. over the diabetes drug Actos.
- In 1993, Mark won a then-record $483 million verdict for a small oil company in a business-fraud case against one of the nation’s largest oil providers.
- Mark won a $258 million verdict in the nation’s first trial over the painkiller Vioxx, Ernst v. Merck, setting the tone for similar cases across the country. This verdict was followed by an additional two wins over the same drug, totaling more than $50 million.
- Mark obtained a precedent-setting settlement for a national sugar association trade group and several of the largest U.S. sugar manufacturers regarding a false-promotion lawsuit against one of the world’s leading distributors of artificial sweeteners.
- Mark was responsible for reaching a sizeable settlement for syringe manufacturer Retractable Technologies in an antitrust case against Becton Dickinson & Company, which served as the basis for the movie Puncture, starring Chris Evans.
- Mark’s $118 million verdict on behalf of 21 asbestos victims is considered one of the largest asbestos liability awards in U.S. history.
- Mark secured a settlement for 130 Ingersoll Rand employees in a lawsuit over unpaid bonuses related to the sale of an Ingersoll Rand subsidiary.
- Mark won the largest verdict in Texas in 2016, according to VerdictSearch and Texas Lawyer, as well as the third largest verdict with $1 billion and $502 million respectively.
- State Bar of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- New York State Bar
- United States District Court for the Northern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Western District of New York
- United States Supreme Court
- Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Board Certified in Complex Litigation by the National Board of Trial Advocates
- Best Lawyers in America, BL Rankings, 2006-2022
- Best Law Firms, Tier 1 Ranking – The Lanier Law Firm, U.S. News/Best
- Lawyers, 2013-2022
- Houston Lawyer of the Year, Product Liability Litigation – Plaintiffs, Best Lawyers, 2020
- Texas Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2003-2021
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers, Benchmark Litigation, 2017-2022
- Most Impressive Plaintiff Verdict, Courtroom View Network, 2019
- Top 10 Super Lawyers in Texas, Texas Super Lawyers by Thomson
- Reuters, 2007, 2009-2010, 2012-2021
- America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Chambers USA, 2012-2021
- Trial Lawyer of the Year,
- National Trial Lawyers, 2019
- National Top Tier Ranking – Medical Device and Pharmaceutical
- Litigation, The Legal 500 U.S. edition, 2016-2019
- Leading Lawyers in Plaintiffs’ Dispute Resolution, The Legal 500 U.S. edition, 2018-2019
- 500 Leading Lawyers in America, Lawdragon, 2007-2020
- 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers, Lawdragon, 2020
- Elite Trial Lawyers,
- National Law Journal, 2015-2019
- Houston Lawyer of the Year, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions – Plaintiffs, Best Lawyers, 2018
- Trial Lawyer of the Year, National Trial Lawyers Foundation, 2018
- 50 Most Influential Lawyers in the U.S., National Trial Lawyers Foundation, 2018
- Elite Trial Lawyer Top 50 Verdicts, National Law Journal, 2018
- MVP in Product Liability Litigation, Law360, 2018
- Trial Lawyer of the Year, Southern California Trial Lawyers, 2018
- Houston Lawyer of the Year, Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs, Best Lawyers, 2017
- Trial Lawyer Hall of Fame, National Trial Lawyers, 2017
- Distinguished Alumni Award, Lipscomb University, 2017
- Compassionate Gladiator Award, Florida Justice Association, 2017
- Litigation Star, Benchmark Litigation, 2013-2022
- Trial Lawyer of the Year, National Trial Lawyers & The Trial Lawyer magazine, 2016-2017
- Texas Tech University Distinguished Alumnus, 2016
- Houston Lawyer of the Year for Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions, Texas Lawyer, 2016
- Houston Lawyer of the Year, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions – Plaintiffs, Best Lawyers, 2016
- Largest Verdict in Texas, Verdict Search/Texas Lawyer, 2016
- Elite Leading Lawyers, The Legal 500, 2016
- Top 50 Verdicts of the Year, National Law Journal, 2016
- Ronald D. Secrest Outstanding Trial Lawyers Award, Texas Bar Foundation, 2015
- Lifetime Achievement Award, American Association of Justice, 2015
- Texas Litigation Firm of the Year: Mid-Size Firms, Texas Lawyer, 2015
- Litigation Trailblazer, National Law Journal, 2015
- Litigation Department of the Year – The Lanier Law Firm, Texas Lawyer, 2015
- Most Feared Plaintiffs Firms – The Lanier Law Firm, Law360, 2014
- Texas Verdicts Hall of Fame, Texas Lawyer, 2014
- Top Class Action Attorney in America, 2013
- Houston Lawyer of the Year, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions – Plaintiffs, Best Lawyers, 2012
- Top 50 Verdicts, Verdict Search/Texas Lawyer, 2012
- Clarence Darrow Award, 2012
- Ambassador of Peace, Guatemalan government, 2011
- Top 5 “Go To” Personal Injury Plaintiff Attorneys, Texas Lawyer
- Top “Go To” Personal Injury Plaintiff Attorneys, Texas Lawyer
- Top 25 Attorneys of the Past Quarter Century, Texas Lawyer
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- America’s 100 Most Influential Trial Lawyers, The Trial Lawyer magazine
- The Legal 500 Hall of Fame
- Top 10 Trial Attorneys, National Law Journal
- 100 Most Influential Lawyers in America, National Law Journal
- Plaintiff’s Hot List, National Law Journal