Maura Kolb came to The Lanier Law Firm in 2003 after previously working with the firm on complex business and personal injury litigation matters. Her innovative thinking and compassionate approach with clients made her a perfect addition to The Lanier Law Firm team. In 2011, Maura was promoted to the high profile role of managing the bankruptcy claims department for the asbestos section of the firm. Her role later expanded to include management of the historical asbestos docket. Her management of the Asbestos Resolution Team, as it is now known, continues today, meeting the voluminous challenges head on, collecting millions of dollars for clients every year. Maura serves on numerous national asbestos trust advisory committees and is currently counsel for a client representative on various high profile asbestos creditor committees.
Maura has called Houston home for over thirty years and still resides here with her family. Maura began and continues to coordinate the firm’s annual fundraising efforts for the Houston Food Bank. She and her team also make time to volunteer at the food bank throughout the year.
- In 2005 part of the trial team that secured a $258 million verdict in the nation’s first trial over the painkiller Vioxx, Ernst v. Merck, setting the tone for similar cases across the country.
- In 2006 and 2007 part of the trial team that followed up the Ernst verdict with two additional wins over the same drug, totaling more than $50 million.
- In 2010 and 2011 coordinated BP Gulf Oil Spill settlements pro-bono for hundreds of clients.
- From 1999 to 2004, part of the team responsible for reaching a sizeable settlement for syringe manufacturer Retractable Technologies in an antitrust lawsuit against Becton Dickinson, Tyco International, Novation, and Premier Inc, which served as the basis for the movie Puncture, starring Chris Evans.
Admissions and Certification
- Admitted to the State Bar of Texas
- Admitted to practice in the United States District Court – Southern District
- Admitted to practice in the United States District Court – Western District of Texas
- J.D. – University of Houston Law Center
- Bachelor of Arts in Communication with a concentration in Business Management and minors in Spanish and Criminal Justice – Northeast Missouri State University, cum laude
Community and Professional Activities
- Member of the State Bar of Texas
- Member of the American Bar Association
- Member of the Houston Bar Association
- Member of the American Association for Justice
- Member of the Texas Trial Lawyers Association
- Member of the National Trial Lawyers Top 100
- Houston Food Bank Volunteer and Supporter
- Steering Committee for the Houston Food Bank’s “Food from the Bar” fundraising program
- Houston Area Women’s Center Supporter