Harvey Brown serves as Of Counsel for The Lanier Law Firm out of the Houston office. Judge Brown joined The Lanier Law Firm in 2019 following distinguished service as a District Judge in Harris County (1995-2002) and as a Justice on the First Court of Appeals for the State of Texas (2010 – 2018). While on the appellate court, Judge Brown also served on the Texas State Multidistrict Litigation Panel and authored more than1,000 opinions.
- Member of the American Law Institute
- Member the Texas Supreme Court Advisory Committee
- The Texas Center for Legal Ethics
- The Texas Association of Civil Trial and Appellate Specialists
- Life member of the Texas Bar Foundation and the Houston Bar Foundation
- Board Chair KSBJ radio station and Houston Habitat for Humanity
- Board member Star of Hope, Spring Branch Family Development Center, Memorial High School Community Network
- Member Campus Improvement Team, Frostwood Elementary
- Volunteer Books for Development, Frostwood Elementary, Spring Brach Memorial Sports Association, Houston Bar Association
- Member various Houston Bar Association committees and State Bar committees
- Adjunct Professor University of Houston Law Center, Houston Baptist University
Before his judicial service he was in private practice for more than 20 years, handling both trials and appeals. He was also appointed as a special master in a case and also frequently retained as an arbitrator and mediator. Judge Brown is also an award-winning author, having authored six law review articles.
During his almost seven years as a trial judge, Judge Brown more than 150 jury trials and 200 bench trials, and served as the chair of a panel that administered the diet drug product liability litigation in Harris County. He also served on the Multi-District Litigation Panel for four years.
As a member of the Lanier Issues and Appeals Team, he was a lead member of the team that successfully wrote the briefs in the appellate courts, including the United States Supreme Court, that rejected Johnson & Johnson’s efforts to overturn a $2.1 billion award to a group of women who developed ovarian cancer after exposure to its talcum powder products. He also assumed a lead in preparing a Vioxx case for the State of Utah for trial, won an appeal in the Fifth Circuit following the dismissal of three claims in an MDL proceeding, has won a number of pre-trial motions, and has attended two trials as a trial/appellate advisor. He also has served as a mock trial judge and moot appellate judge in a number of cases, along with serving as an arbitrator and mediator.
- J.D. – The University of Texas, with honors, and was a member of the Texas Law Review and the Order of Coif.
- Bachelors of Arts – The University of Texas, graduating with high honors and as a member of Phi Beta Kappa.
- Board certified in Personal Injury Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- State Bar of Texas, the United States Supreme Court, the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, and numerous District Courts
- Named Appellate Judge of the Year by the Association of Civil Trial and Appellate Specialists
- Mentor of the Year by the Houston Young Lawyers Association and the Texas Young Lawyers Association
- Named as a Texas Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters
- Honored as one of American’s Best Lawyers by S. News and World Report
- Recognized as AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- Awards for scholarship for his articles and speeches on expert witnesses