Hi, my name is Zeke DeRose, and I am a senior attorney in the commercial litigation section of the Linear Law Firm. I did my undergrad degree at UCLA out in Los Angeles, and spent another four years out there teaching high school at the high school that I attended. Went to law school at the University of Texas in Austin, where I’m currently also an adjunct professor.
I first started working with the Linear Law Firm and Mark, I think, back in about 2015, on a case out in California. It was the high fructose corn syrup industry versus the sugar industry. And it was a case that we took all the way to trial and had successful resolution actually during the middle of trial.
I specialize in false claims act cases, business litigation, antitrust, and some social media addiction cases.
Zeke DeRose is a member of The Lanier Law Firm’s Commercial Litigation section. He brings extensive experience to plaintiffs and defendants in a range of disputes before courts and in arbitration, including complex commercial and business litigation, antitrust, licensing disputes, merger disputes, qui tam (under both state and federal False Claims Act), federal securities, and intellectual property. He has represented both large and small clients across the nation in federal court, arbitration, and state court.
Zeke clerked for the Honorable Royal Furgeson of the Western District of Texas, San Antonio Division. He joined Vinson & Elkins’ Austin office as an associate in the Complex Commercial Litigation Section and worked closely with the Intellectual Property Section and with every U.S. office of Vinson & Elkins. While at Vinson & Elkins, Zeke also instituted and coordinated a pro bono program with the Texas Civil Rights Project, which resulted in thousands of hours of pro bono work, trial experience, and multiple awards for the firm and attorneys.
Zeke earned his J.D. from The University of Texas School of Law and a B.A. in Political Science from the University of California at Los Angeles. Before attending law school, Zeke was a classroom teacher in Los Angeles and drove race cars. Zeke enjoys quality time with his wife Melonie and their daughters and spending time traveling, listening to live music, and being outdoors.
- The State of Texas, Idaho, Indiana, Mississippi, Louisiana, North Dakota, South Carolina, and South Dakota, in a Multi-District Litigation anti-trust case against Google.
- Member of trial team for a coalition of sugar farmers and producers in their suit against agribusiness conglomerates for false advertising, Lanham Act violations, resulting in precedent-setting settlement for client.
- Represented United States Football League in trademark litigation against Fox Sports in successful case resolution.
- Representing Relator whistleblower in federal and state qui tam actions against pharmaceutical companies for fraud against state Medicaid programs.
- Represented a research university in patent infringement lawsuit related to distributed search technology. The case settled favorably after jury selection on the eve of trial.
- Represented a multinational technology manufacturer in patent infringement litigation related to liquid crystal display (LCD) technologies.
- Represented a major media company in a patent infringement case related to photographic images and information displayed on the floor—a significant source of revenue for the client, resulting in a very favorable ruling, which was affirmed on appeal.
- Represented global biotechnology tools company in a $100 million dispute involving a shareholder dispute over earnout provisions in a merger agreement, resulting in complete defense award for client.
- Represented public employee pension fund in lawsuit against hedge fund for fraud and breach of fiduciary duties.
- Represented former executive for a medical device company in series of investigations and proceedings over alleged inflating of revenues, including a consolidated class action in which the securities control person claims against him were dismissed and a DOJ criminal prosecution that concluded in plea agreement.
- Represented an investment bank in lawsuit over remarketing of variable rate bonds.
- Represented 501(c)(3) nonprofit in State governmental investigation.
- Represented clients in a global real estate services company lawsuit, arising out of a failed master-planned resort development outside Las Vegas, Nevada, resulting in favorable settlement for clients.
- Represented publicly traded defense contractor in employee tort claims.
- Represented the audit committee of a public company conducting an internal investigation related to SEC investigation.
- •Assisted with successful Title IX dispute on behalf of single mother nursing student and a major university.
- Assisted with the representation of a United States Army veteran and Purple Heart recipient in child-custody dispute and obtained settlement of past due child support.
- Filed pro bono amicus curiae brief with the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals in First Amendment case involving abuse in prisons
*Includes matters prior to joining The Lanier Law Firm.
Admissions and Certification
- The State of Texas
- Western District of Texas
- Eastern District of Texas
- Northern District of Texas
- Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Recognized and named to Best Lawyers, The Best Lawyers in America, 2023
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers
- Named a “Texas Rising Star” by Texas Monthly Magazine and Thomson Reuters
- Recipient of the “Pro Bono Champion Award” by the Texas Civil Rights Project