California Mesothelioma Lawyer
The asbestos industry knew for decades that asbestos exposure caused deadly conditions. However, companies chose to actively conceal this information rather than take steps to protect workers, harming millions of people to protect profits. The California mesothelioma lawyers at The Lanier Law Firm provide skilled representation to individuals harmed as a result of this corporate greed.
California has the highest number of mesothelioma cases in the country, with 307 new cases and 219 deaths in 2019 alone. These tragic numbers are unsurprising, considering California is home to numerous companies that relied on asbestos, including the last asbestos mine in the United States, which operated until 2002.
The California mesothelioma lawyers at The Lanier Law Firm have seen the pain and suffering mesothelioma and other asbestos-related illnesses cause. As a result, we are dedicated to providing our mesothelioma clients with skillful, compassionate advocacy to ensure they receive the compensation they deserve.
California Companies That Exposed Workers to Asbestos
California workers experienced asbestos exposure with virtually no protection from the early 1900s until as recently as the 1970s. Even after asbestos became regulated, workers in many industries have continued to face significant asbestos exposure. California companies with significant occupational exposure include:
- Alcoa in Vernon
- CertainTeed in Richmond and Riverside
- Dow Chemical in Pittsburg
- E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company in Antioch
- Firestone in Los Angeles
- Harvey Aluminum/Martin Marietta in Torrance (Harbor Gateway)
- Johns Manville in Stockton
- Kaiser Aluminum in Foothill Ranch
- Kimberly-Clark in Fullerton
- Lockheed Corporation in Burbank
- McDonnell Douglas in Long Beach
- Monsanto in Long Beach
- Shell Oil Company/The Dexter Corporation in Pittsburg
- US Pipe & Foundry in Union City
- Atlantic Richfield Company in Carson
- Caminol Oil/Beacon Oil in Hanford
- Champlin Petroleum Company in Wilmington
- Edgington Oil/Signal Oil & Gas/Kern Oil in Bakersfield and Long Beach
- Exxon in Benicia
- Gulf Oil in Hercules and Santa Fe Springs
- Mobil Oil in Torrance
- Mohawk Petroleum/Reserve Oil/Getty Oil in Bakersfield
- Powerine Oil in Santa Fe Springs
- San Joaquin Refining Co. in Bakersfield
- Shell Oil Company in Martinez
- Shell Oil Company, Wilmington/Dominguez Facility, in Carson
- Standard Oil Company/Chevron Corporation in Bakersfield, El Segundo, and Richmond
- Unocal in Rodeo
- Bethlehem Shipbuilding in San Pedro
- Camp Pendleton in Oceanside
- Hunters Point Naval Shipyard in San Francisco
- Long Beach Naval Shipyard in Long Beach
- Mare Island Naval Shipyard in Mare Island
- National Steel and Shipbuilding Company (NASSCO)/General Dynamics in San Diego
- Naval Air Station Alameda in Alameda County
- San Francisco Bay Naval Shipyard in San Francisco
- Todd Pacific Shipyards in San Pedro
- Coalinga asbestos mines in Fresno County
- Calaveras asbestos mine in Calaveras County
- Panamint talc mine in Inyo County
- Grantham talc mine in Inyo County
- Galena Canyon talc mine in Inyo County
- Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway in Barstow and San Bernardino
- Southern Pacific Railroad in Glendale, West Oakland, Roseville, and Sacramento
- Pacific Gas and Electric Company in Antioch
- Southern California Edison in Huntington Beach
A California Mesothelioma Law Firm That Gets Results
The Lanier Law Firm has recovered nearly $20 billion in compensation for clients, including the following results for our mesothelioma clients:
- $7 million in settlements for a career mechanic and truck driver with pleural mesothelioma
- $4.7 million in settlements for a career plumber diagnosed with pleural mesothelioma
- $3.9 million in settlements for a long-time shipyard employee suffering from mesothelioma
- $2.6 million in settlements for a career auto mechanic and former Navy mechanic who developed mesothelioma
- $2 million in settlements for the family of a woman who died of mesothelioma following household exposure to her husband’s industrial talc-laden work clothing
What sets The Lanier Law Firm apart?
With more than 30 years of experience helping asbestos exposure victims recover substantial compensation, The Lanier Law Firm is one of the most experienced mesothelioma law firms in the world.
A Law Firm Defendants Fear
Through the years, our attorneys have built a reputation for being formidable in the courtroom. With a reputation that precedes us, asbestos companies are more likely to offer generous settlements to avoid facing us in court.
Our team of attorneys understands the toll a mesothelioma diagnosis takes on victims and their families, and we work hard to obtain fair and reasonable settlements so our clients can avoid trial.
However, some asbestos companies refuse to take responsibility. Our attorneys handle every case as if it will be litigated in court. This approach ensures we are well prepared to fight for you in court if that becomes necessary for you to receive full compensation for your losses.
A Law Firm That Cares
Our mesothelioma attorneys in California treat clients like family. We spend a significant amount of time with each client so that we can understand the full extent of their pain, suffering, and financial losses. Our clients know they can always reach us for reassurance or questions about their cases.
Our compassion drives us to go to whatever lengths necessary to ensure clients receive the compensation they are due. Our personalized, caring approach to legal care is combined with skill and hard work.
Featured California Mesothelioma &
Mark is a toxic tort, product liability, and personal injury litigation attorney who has represented clients in state and federal courts across the country. He has represented persons exposed to asbestos as shipyard workers, auto mechanics, electricians, and railroad workers. Mark has also represented numerous clients with unorthodox exposure histories, including spouses, children, and siblings suffering asbestos-related injuries as a result of asbestos fibers unknowingly brought home on the asbestos-laden work clothes of family members.
Case is a fervent advocate and passionate litigator who has successfully litigated several mesothelioma cases to verdict. He has performed extensive research on the asbestos industry and its harmful products and served as a trial and appellate attorney for clients exposed to asbestos in a variety of circumstances, including veterans of the United States Armed Services. He is licensed to practice in California, Illinois and Florida.
Below are examples of the types of feedback we regularly receive from our clients:
“The Lanier Law firm has been such a blessing for our family. My mother passed away from mesothelioma. The many settlements my father received allowed him to live comfortably until he passed away at 95. The Lanier Law Firm was very professional and always answered our questions promptly.” — Nancy Katkowski
“Thank you for the overwhelming support, empathy, professionalism, and compassion during the most difficult and heartbreaking time of our lives. We will forever be grateful to all of the staff at Lanier. Listening to me cry every time I called couldn’t have been easy, but you all always took the time to comfort me. Thank you for all you do!” — Stacy Larson
What types of cases do our California asbestos and mesothelioma attorneys accept?
Our mesothelioma attorneys accept cases involving all asbestos-related illnesses, including:
- Lung cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Esophageal cancer
- Pharyngeal cancer
To qualify, you must have a confirmed diagnosis of an asbestos-related illness. If you do not know how you were exposed to asbestos, you can still contact us. We have developed an extensive library of asbestos exposure documentation to assist clients with identifying their sources of exposure. Our library includes the following:
- Internal asbestos company memos that have been made public
- Internal asbestos company communications discovered by our private investigators
- Pictures of products you may not know contain asbestos
- An extensive list of companies that exposed workers and others to asbestos
Many of our clients are surprised to learn that they were exposed to asbestos through more than one source. If this is the case, you may qualify for compensation through multiple claims.
How much compensation do I qualify for?
You may qualify for significant compensation. This is determined by the type of case you can file.
You may be eligible to file an asbestos-exposure lawsuit depending on specific details surrounding the company and the nature of your exposure:
- Whether the company is still solvent
- Whether you qualify for a workers’ compensation claim
- Whether you were employed by the military and on active duty at the time of your exposure
You may qualify for multiple lawsuits if more than one company is to blame for your asbestos exposure.
Personal Injury Lawsuits
A mesothelioma personal injury claim is a means to seek economic, noneconomic, and punitive damages.
Economic damages are monetary losses that stem from your illness. These losses may include medical bills, time away from work, and loss of earning capacity.
Noneconomic damages are intangible losses related to the impact your diagnosis has on your quality of life, such as pain and suffering, mental anguish, and loss of society.
The spouse of an asbestos victim may also file a claim for noneconomic damages, known as loss of consortium. This refers to the physical, psychological, and emotional anguish suffered by the spouse as a result of the disease’s effect on the relationship. This claim is typically included in the asbestos victim’s lawsuit.
Punitive damages may be awarded in an asbestos case when it can be proven that the defendant’s conduct was particularly egregious. The conduct of numerous asbestos companies meets this standard because they fraudulently concealed information about the asbestos exposure hazards for decades.
Wrongful Death Lawsuits
When an asbestos victim passes away, the survivors may initiate a wrongful death lawsuit for their losses or continue a lawsuit the victim initiated prior to death in an action known as a survival claim. Survival claims and wrongful death claims are generally consolidated into one lawsuit.